The title pretty much says it all, so I’ll just get started.
- I like helping people. When I was in college and didn’t know what I wanted to do for a career yet, I remember thinking “I wish there was a job where you just did favors for people.” I’ve been able to take that attitude and apply it to being a Realtor. I get to help people plan, coordinate things, advise them, help them save money….even after we close, I still get to help because many of my clients are always asking me what they should do to improve their house, for contractor recommendations, etc.
- I like houses and neighborhoods. Ever since I got my driver’s license, I have been cruising around checking them out. Now I get to do that and making a living at the same time….only I am much older and my car is much nicer now.
- I like numbers. My dad can tell you that the best thing he ever gave me was a calculator. Even now, it is the most used app on my phone. I get to crunch numbers to figure out what a house is worth for both my buyers and sellers.
- I like being on the move. It about killed me in school and jobs I’ve had where you sit in one room all day. I like being all over town and seeing what is happening.
- I like seeing the pictures my clients post on Facebook. There is no greater pleasure than to see people enjoying the home that I helped get for them. I’ve got to see bland rooms transformed into nurseries, kids grow and all the life that happens in a home. I also get to see clients move on to bigger and better things in their lives too. It is sad when they move out of town, but it is nice to know that I was able to help with the transition.
- I like writing. I had a newspaper with I was a kid. That was before there were copiers at home. Fortunately I had a circulation of about 4 neighbors so making each copy by hand was not that big of a deal. I did the newsletter when I worked at UPS. I’d post my favorite movie quotes, I’d ask my co-workers random questions and have their replies. Everybody had a great time reading it. That is when I learned you can get people to read stuff IF you make it fun for them. That is why I try to be creative in my marketing remarks for listings.
- And the last reason is because being a Realtor has allowed be who I am and enjoy doing what I do.